Laneways are smaller-scale connections within the street network and are able to offer shorter and more attractive pedestrian routes through large city blocks. Our numerous laneways projects are part of a bigger plan to transform areas of the CBD for now – and for the future – and to improve the walkability of the capital.
It seems there's always a new eatery or bar that's just opened up in Wellington. Here are some of the most recent and recommended.
Eva and Leeds streets
The area has a varied history that includes a timber yard, saw mill and most notably, the site of the Hannah's shoe factory. The project will acknowledge and celebrate the history of the laneway through design features.
THINGS TO DO:
- Six Barrel Soda: Small batch sodas, made with real ingredients in Wellington. Factory cafe level 1 corner Eva and Dixon streets open everyday.
- Wellington Chocolate Factory: See the bean to bar process of artisanal chocolate, order a hot chocolate and taste.
- Golding's: Golding's Free Dive is one of Wellington's newest craft beer bars, paying homage to the neighbourhood bars of North America and Europe.
- Leeds Street Bakery: Leeds St Bakery is a small boutique bakery, selling a range of cakes, biscuits and organic bread.
- Red Rabbit Coffee Co.: Located on Leeds Street, Sharing a site with Leeds Street Bakery, you’ll find Red Rabbit Coffee Co. While enjoying some freshly-baked pastries by the Leeds Street crew, sip Hopper espresso, aeropress, V60 or Chemex brews and savour the complex flavours that speak to their single-origin production.
As part of the laneways project, the upgrade to Egmont Street was designed to make this key pedestrian route safer, more attractive and more inviting – bringing more foot traffic into the lane, supporting local businesses, and creating a clear link between Ghuznee and Dixon Streets.
'Wellington hideaway. Tucked down an alleyway in the middle of town this place is awesome. Funky decor, friendly staff,and great coffee. I had the French toast which was a little bit different to the normal with lemon curd and fresh blackberries this was divine. My wife had the bacon buttie and this was also delicious. We will definitely be back. Highly recommend AAA+++' - TripAdvisor Traveller 2017
Egmont Street Eatery Restaurant
A favourite café for Wellingtonians– tucked away up an alleyway but with the reputation of sublime coffee and food. Highly recommend the cheese scones. Delicious! Make sure you won't miss out this local acclaimed restaurants when in Wellington with your mates!